Delphi, Meteora, and Thermopylae private tour. Experience one of the best Greece tours visiting the most celebrated places of the ancient world and the Middle Ages starting starting from Athens.
- Delphi: The focal point of religion in Antiquity.
- Meteora: Original Byzantine monasteries standing as if suspended between the sky and the ground.
- Thermopylae: Site of one of the most important battles in the ancient world, that determined the fate of Western World.
Delphi, Meteora, and Thermopylae private tour itinerary
Levadia, Arachova, Delphi, the Delphi museum, the temple of Apollo in Delphi, Lamia, Karditsa, Trikala, Kastraki, the Meteora high rocks, the byzantine monasteries on the top of Meteora rocks, Kalambaka by the feet of Meteora and Thermopylae
Enjoy our Greece private taxi tour to Delphi, Meteora and Thermopylae with a private chauffeur from Athens taxi tours just for you, your family and friends.
Description of our private tour to Delphi, Meteora and Thermopylae
DAY 1: Athens – Arachova – Delphi – Meteora
Starting in the morning, your Athens taxi tours private chauffeur will collect you from your cruise ship pier or your hotel, and together we will start our private tour in Greece traveling through the verdant plain of Viotia, through Thebes, the domain of the mythological King Oedipus, LEVADIA and ARACHOVA (famous for its bright multi colored hand-made carpets).
Arrive in DELPHI, the ancient sanctuary of Apollo. Our Athens taxi private tour includes visits to the Oracle, the “navel of the Earth”, the Temple of Apollo, the Delphi Museum where one can see among other archaeological treasures, the unique Bronze Charioteer of Delphi and then proceed through the sacred way to the Athenian Treasure House in Delphi.
After the visits, our Greece tours driver will take you for lunch in Delphi or Arachova a picturesque mountain village, the meeting place of the Greek jet set of the winter, built on the southern slopes of Mt. Parnassus, well known for its snow ski resort.
Afterwards we depart for KALAMBAKA a town by the foot of the Meteora rocks. We continue our Greece private taxi tour driving through the towns of Central Greece ( LAMIA, KARDITSA and TRIKALA) crossing the Thessalian plain, the granary of GREECE, to reach KALAMBAKA late in the afternoon. Overnight.
DAY 2: Meteora – Thermopylae – Athens
After having breakfast in the hotel, your private chauffeur of Athens taxi tours will drive you to the breathtaking METEORA and its monasteries built on the top of high rocks standing between earth wind and sky.
Meteora is the biggest and most important group of monasteries in Greece second only to those in Mount Athos. The rock monasteries have been characterized by UNESCO as a unique phenomenon of cultural heritage and they form one of the most important locations in the cultural map of Greece. They belong to a region of almost inaccessible sandstone peaks. On these ‘columns of the sky’ monks have settled from the 11th century onwards where twenty-four of these monasteries were built, despite incredible difficulties, at the time of the great revival of the eremitic ideal in the 15th century. Their 16th-century frescoes mark a key stage in the development of post-Byzantine painting.
The most important monasteries of Meteora are:
- The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron. It is the biggest of the Meteorite monasteries.
- The Holy Monastery of Varlaam is the second largest monastery after the Great Meteoro.
- The Holy Monastery of Rousanou. It is dedicated to ‘The Transfiguration’ but consecrated to Saint Barbara.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas. It is the first one we will come across on our way from Kastraki to Meteora.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Stephen. It is one of the most easily accessible as one does not need to climb innumerable stairs to reach it.
- The Monastery of Holy Trinity is very difficult to reach. The visitor has to cross the valley and continue high up through the rock before we arrive outside the entrance.
After our visit in Meteora & lunch, Athens taxi tours will start the drive back to ATHENS passing through THERMOPYLAE where we will make a stop to visit the place where LEONIDAS and the 300 Spartans fell in glorious battle against the Persians and KAMENA VOURLA.
Late in the afternoon we’ll arrive in Athens ending our Greece private taxi tour .
You can customize this private tour at any time, either on the way together with your private chauffeur or in advance by contacting our Athens Taxi Tours team.
Highly recommended for cruise travelers visiting Athens & Greece with Celebrity Cruises, Carnival Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Princess Cruises, Holland America Cruises, Norwegian Cruises, Costa Cruises and all cruise companies traveling to Greece.