An amazing private Greece tour from Athens to Levadia, Arachova, Delphi, Amphisa, Lamia, Trikala, Kalambaka, Meteora, Thermopylae, Athens
Highlights of the Three (3) Days Two Picturesque Delphi Meteora Private Tour
- Delphi the center of the universe
- Athens pronea, the trademark of Delphi
- Meteora, the high rocks between earth, wind, and sky
- The 6 Byzantine monasteries on the rocks
Day 1: Athens – Levadia – Arachova – Delphi
Our Athens taxi tours driver will collect you from your cruise ship or your hotel, and we will start our Greece private tour traveling through the verdant plain of Viotia, through Thebes, the domain of the mythological King Oedipus, LEVADIA and ARACHOVA (famous for its bright multi-colored hand-made carpets).
Arrive in DELPHI, the ancient sanctuary of Apollo. Our Athens taxi private tour includes visits to the Oracle, the “navel of the Earth”, visit the Temple of Apollo, the Delphi Museum where one can see among other archaeological treasures, the unique Bronze Charioteer of Delphi, then proceed through the sacred way to the Athenian Treasure House in Delphi.
Lunch in Delphi or Arachova a picturesque mountain village, the meeting place of the Greek jet set in winter, built on the southern slopes of Mt. Parnassus, well known for its snow ski resort. Free afternoon in Arachova & Delphi.
Dinner & overnight in Delphi.
Day 2: Delphi – Amphisa – Lamia – Trikala – Kalambaka – Meteora
Free morning in Delphi & Arachova. Afterward, we depart with Athens Taxi for KALAMBAKA. We continue our private tour driving through the towns of Central Greece (AMPHISSA, LAMIA, and TRIKALA) crossing the Thessalian plain, the granary of GREECE, to reach KALAMBAKA late in the afternoon. We will overnight by the foot of the breathtaking Meteora in Kastraki.
Day 3: Meteora – Thermopylae – Athens
After breakfast in the hotel, an Athens taxi tours driver will take you to the breathtaking METEORA and its monasteries built on the top of high rocks standing between earth wind, and sky.
Meteora is from the biggest and most important group of monasteries in Greece after those in Mount Athos. The rock monasteries have been characterized by UNESCO as a unique phenomenon of cultural heritage and they form one of the most important stations of the cultural map of Greece. They belong to a region of almost inaccessible sandstone peaks. On these ‘columns of the sky’ monks have settled from the 11th century onwards where twenty-four of these monasteries were built, despite incredible difficulties, at the time of the great revival of the eremitic ideal in the 15th century. Their 16th-century frescoes mark a key stage in the development of post-Byzantine painting.
The most important monasteries of Meteora are:
- The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron. It is the biggest of the Meteorite monasteries.
- The Holy Monastery of Varlaam is the second largest monastery after the Great Meteoro.
- The Holy Monastery of Rousanou. It is dedicated to ‘The Transfiguration’ but consecrated to Saint Barbara.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas. It is the first one we will come across on our way from Kastraki to Meteora.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Stephen. It is one of the easiest accessible as one does not have to climb innumerable steps to reach it.
- The Monastery of Holy Trinity is very difficult to reach. The visitor has to cross the valley and continue high up through the rock before one arrives outside the entrance.
After lunch, Athens taxi tours will start the drive back to ATHENS passing through THERMOPYLAE, where we will stop to visit the place where LEONIDAS & the 300 Spartans fell in battle against the Persian invasion army, and KAMENA VOURLA.
Our Greece taxi private tour ends in Athens late in the afternoon.
You can customize this private tour at any time, either on the way together with your private chauffeur or in advance by contacting our Athens Taxi Tours team.